Tributes paid to Hailsham pedestrian who died following hit and run

Tributes have been paid to a man who has tragically died following a hit-and-run in Hailsham.

A member of the public discovered a pedestrian with serious injuries on a verge on the A22 about 4.38am on Friday 21 September.

The air ambulance attended, and the victim was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by land ambulance, where he sadly died on Wednesday 26 September.

He has been formally identified as David Gunson, 73, from Hailsham. His family issued the following tribute:

“David Gunson, 73, was a proud Sheffield man at heart. He attended King Edward’s Grammar School where he enjoyed swimming and cross-country running. He worked as a Sales Rep for Walls Ice Cream for some years before attending the University of Sheffield where he studied Law. It was at University that his love for sailing blossomed – a passion that he took delight in all his life.

“David was a practicing solicitor for a number of firms in Sussex and Lincolnshire for many years, making many friends along the way. After retiring, David worked briefly for the Co-op Funeral Service.

“Having always been fond of the South Downs and the Sea, David was happy to move to Hailsham to be closer to his three children Natalie, Jeremy and William, and his new-born grandson, Rupert.

“David’s death was a great tragedy and he will be sorely missed. We would like to thank all of the staff at the Royal Sussex ICU for their wonderful care and attention. We’d also like to thank his friends in Hailsham for their help and support.

“We are urging anyone who may be able to piece together his final journey on the tragic night to get in touch with the police.”

Following enquiries, police located a white Renault – believed to have been involved in the collision – in Hellingly, which was seized for forensics.

A 28-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman from Hellingly, arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop after a road traffic collision and failing to report a road traffic collision, have been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

Police would like to thank everyone who has come forward so far, however they are still appealing for witnesses or anyone with information about the vehicle to get in touch.

In particular, officers are keen to speak to anyone who was driving in the area late on Thursday 20 September or in the early hours of Friday 21 September who has dash cam footage, or anyone who saw Mr Gunson in the area prior to the collision.

The incident occurred just north of the Eagles roundabout on the northbound carriageway, which was closed until about 2.50pm while emergency services attended the scene.

Anyone with any information is asked to report it online or phone 101, quoting Operation Cache.

Related Articles